Our founder and CEO, Betsy Furler is an expert in the areas of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) and the use of mobile devices for children and adults with disabilities.
Why is AAC and user accessibility Betsy’s passion?
As a speech pathologist, I am dedicated to improving the lives of people with disabilities. I want to do something bigger than individual therapy. As I learned more and more about the tech world and began interacting with developers and tech company founders, I realized I had a unique skill. For several years I have been asked for my opinion on accessibility issues with apps, websites, hardware and physical products. I have realized this is a needed service and have begun to market myself as a consultant in the area of technology and disabilities.
In addition to being a speech pathologist with 25 years of experiences, I am also a certified teacher. I have worked with and understand the needs of people with all kinds of disabilities — physical, cognitive, neurological, vision, hearing, and medical, just to name a few — and in all age groups (birth through death). I also have a vision disorder and am the mother of a child with a disability. My knowledge of a wide range of disabilities sets me apart from other accessibility and disability consultants. I am also an advocate for good business and believe that every product cannot work for everyone. My goal is to help companies make great products with great design that work for the largest part of the population as possible.
– Betsy Furler, MS, SLP-CCC
Some of Betsy’s recent training sessions and presentations include:
- 2017 Global Tech Women Summit
- 2015 ANCOR & AAIDD Technology Summit & Showcase
- 2016 American Physical Therapy Association CSM 2016 Rett Syndrome and AAC
- ACT The App Association FlyIn
- Apple Education: Special Education and Apple Accessibility Features – Region 4
- Art Beyond Sight
- Avondale House Staff Training
- Conroe ISD – Special Ed Training
- Council for Exceptional Children Annual Conference
- Friendswood ISD – Prolqouo2Go Training
- International Society for Technology in Education Convention
- Lamar CISD Training
- M-Enabling Summit
- MD Anderson Cancer Center – Disability Awareness Event
- Myotonic Dystrophy Association Annual Conference
- The Ripley House Training
- SXSWedu Inclusive App Room
- SXSWInteractive Inclusive App Room
- SXSWInteractive Apps for Independence
- SXSWInteractive Apps for Medical Independence
- Texas Assistive Technology Network (TATN)
- Texas Computer Education Association (TCEA)
- Texas Parent2Parent
- Tots and Technology (TCEA)
- Tough K6
- Xavier Educational Academy – Teacher Inservice Staff Training
- YMCA Houston – Active Older Adults and Mobile Devices
Betsy’s upcoming speaking engagements include:
- Texas Assistive Technology Network (TATN) – June 2017
- Texas Parent2Parent – June 2017
- American Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine – September 2017
Contact Betsy to discuss your training and consulting needs or to inquire about her speaking availability.